Thursday, September 18, 2008
Following is Picket Fence's ad!
5th Anniversary 3-Farm Tour &
Sept. 21 Noon to 5 p.m.
Admission is FREE!
(Held in conjunction with our great neighbors to the north, Prairieland Herbs and Northern Prairie Chevre, also celebrating anniversaries of 10 years and 8 years, respectively.)
That's right, Picket Fence Creamery is 5-years-old! To celebrate, we have quite an event planned this weekend. We'll have guest vendors galore, a $5 lunch, pony rides, a hay maze, and lots of local food samples and wines to try! In addition, everyone will receive a commemorative gift with their purchase!!! By the way, we've had the dairy farm 23 years.
LOCAL FOOD SAMPLES SATURDAY AND SUNDAY! That's right, it you can't make it Sunday, drop by Saturday for some great food samples, and wines by Prairie Moon Winery of Ames.
*Local food samples: caramel apple ice cream, cheese balls, elk sticks, Two Sisters breads, muffins, and salads, caramel apple pecan butter, fresh cheese curds, Iowa wines, and of course..."the best chocolate milk this side of the Milky Way!"
SAMPLE SUNDAY SPECIAL ACTIVITIES, SEPT. 21:
*5th Anniversary $5 lunch under the big top: Freshly grilled brat on a bun, fixin's, chips, milk or water, and ice cream - all for only $5! (Kids' hot dog meal, $3.)
*For the kids: Say hi to Lil' Bob and Ginny, take a pony ride in the pasture (free will offering), wind your way through the hay maze, and pick up some free pencils and posters! FREE KITTENS TOO!
*Guest vendors: Penoach Winery, Russ 'n' Franks BBQ, Watkins (six onion soup, Mexican dip, and organic coffee), Allison Moss with her snuggle blankets, Pegi Bevins with her wool scarves, and Rose Behrens with a flax demo.
*Music provided by Julie and Robert of HB Productions, Altoona.
Fresh cheese curds, $3 per bag; 90% lean ground beef, $3.49/lb. with 10 lb. purchase; any large Pasquale's pizza, $4.99; local Macintosh apples, $5 for a 5 lb. bag; 1.5 lb. ham loaf, $5.99; fresh apple crisp and quart ice cream, $10; and more in-store bargains!
*Cafe Diem coffees, Ames, introductory price of $2.99 per bag; South Union Bakery breads from The Gateway Market in Des Moines; Beaver Creek Farm's homemade cherry preserves; beef jerky from Boyd's Sausage Co., Washington, Iowa; Santa Maria Wines, Carroll, Iowa; Tabor Home Wines, Baldwin, Iowa; and Elvis muffin and cappuccino muffin mixes from Knoxville, Iowa.
Browse our store full of local foods from 90 Iowa families...and counting! We have the finest selection of local meats in the area: beef, pork, chicken, eggs, lamb, elk, buffalo and goat...all on grass and no artificial hormones!
Check out our selection of gluten-free mixes, country gravey mixes, and our new "shoofly pie" mix!
WOW! Local, organic pears, grown 3 miles from this farm - only $1.29 for a 3 lb. bag! Included are instructions on how to ripen the pears, and a great pear crisp recipe!
Deal's Orchard cider: 1/2 gallon, $2.99; gallon, $5.59.
FREE commemorative gift and recipe booklet with your purchase!
Chemical-free apples, onions, tomatoes, garlic, pears, peaches, zucchini, and more - all LOCAL!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
· Dance Arabesque from Des Moines and Benu Dance Troupe from Lincoln, NE will perform and have ethnic clothing and jewelry for sale.
· The Atlantean from Des Moines will have a variety of ethnic merchandise.
· Snus Hill Winery from Madrid, Tassel Ridge Winery from Leighton and La Vida Loca Winery from Indianola will sample their award winning wines
· Olde Main Brewery from Ames will be giving out samples of their beer!
· Relax with Shannon, Massage Therapist, who is offering chair massages - $10/10 min.
· Milton from Sheeder Farms will be grilling steak sandwiches for just $6!!
· Mary Boyvey, Hoopnotica Certified instructor will be offering free classes on the hour, and have hoops available for all ages to try and/or purchase
· NEW – Hand and Foot Scrub and Lotion from Canus
· NEW – Dog Shampoo Bars from Canus – excellent for dry coats & fleas!!
· NEW – Sun Creek Jewelry – beautiful and affordable! New shipment just in!
· Stock up on Sheeder Farms meats and eggs.
· Elk sticks, burger, summer sausage and steaks from Skeeter Creek Elk
· Pat from Randol Honey will be sampling her delicious creamed honeys. SALE!! Goat milk and honey soaps just 2/$6!!
· Kids – enjoy the swings and sand box in the front yard.
· Not many babies left, but they’re looking for loving and hugs! The girls that make this whole business possible also LOVE attention! (Don’t forget the best guard dogs in the whole state too!!!)
· Come on in to Miss Tillie’s for samples of our cheese and MUCH MORE!
At Prairieland Herbs:
- 10% off ALL purchases!
- Guest vendors include: Funkie Organics - funky hemp and stone jewelry
- Kristi Poole - handmade paper beads
- Nikki's Designs - handmake sterling silver jewelry
- Sally Kilkenny - handmade jams & jellies
- Mary DouBrava - Reiki sessions
Jill Beebout will be having free, 15 minute storytelling at the top of every hour, beginning at 1 pm! Fun for the entire family.
Herbal Cooking Contest - Bring your best dish and join them for a cooking contest and potluck. Judging begins at 4pm. Three categories: Herbal Breads, Herbal Desserts, Herbal Dish or Beverage. Prizes given in each category!! 1st place - $25 Prairieland Herbs Gift Certificate; 2nd place - $15 Prairieland Herbs Gift Certificate; 3rd place - $10 Prairieland Herbs Gift Certificate.
Stay afterwards to share and sample the herbal delights!!
Our other neighbor to the north, Picket Fence Creamery will also be joining in on the fun, but I'm afraid I don't have information yet - once I do, I'll update. I know they'll have TONS of samples from 80+ families in their store, kids events and so much more.
We hope you'll join us!
Monday, September 15, 2008
All of our babies are gone except the 7 we're keeping for next year. The last ones left last week - boy, is that ever hard! We ended up keeping Nevaeh and her sister, Amore', Tora, Lindsey, Toodles, Angelina and our special needs child Alisha. (Alisha was born with Spinabifada. She's healthy in every way except she has no feeling in her tail and doesn't have the urge to go potty, so doesn't have the instinct to sqwat. She's a sweety though! She'll be a wonderful pet.)
We started breeding last Friday. Caylah thought Dante' was the love of her life, so they got to "visit" and then she hung out at his gate for nearly 24 hours being loved. They're so silly when they're in heat. We've decided to cut back our milkers drastically - I think we're going down 10. We do have a few milkers we would like to find homes for if you're looking for one. Also some very nice retireds yet. They're all big lovers.
We purchased a new milking machine from Hamby's a couple of months ago. What a change - all for the better!! It milks so much more quickly and seems to pull much less on the girls. Our other machine was pretty old and not doing so good any more. I think the girls are relieved too!
Toby, our oldest Great Pyr is really showing his age. He's 9 today. He's getting a little harder of hearing, but can still hear those coyotes!
Will write more soon!